How to Keep Fit With A Desk Job
At the end of a mentally challenging day you may feel tired and out of shape and the last thing you want to do is exercise. In the long run this can cause you problems and if you become less healthy you may end up taking time off work so it could affect your company as well. Exercise can actually help improve your state of mind, get you in a better mood and probably enable you to actually do more work.
These are a few ideas for staying in good health if you are at a desk all day:
• Get up from your desk if you are there for more than 4 hours. At the very least you need to get up and stretch your legs or just stand at your station and stretch your muscles. Stop using the lift and use the stairs instead or if there is an escalator, walk up it. If possible get up and walk around several times a day – you won’t notice the exercise but that’s what it is. If you can’t leave your desk, do some leg stretches under the desk. Also try to maintain a good posture at your desk, this will also help to keep your muscles strong.
• Some offices and call centres have their own fitness centre or provide a membership discount to a fitness centre, if yours doesn’t perhaps you could suggest it. If not maybe walk or cycle to and from work or you could get off the bus a stop earlier or park a little further away and walk that extra bit every day.
• Make sure your diet is healthy. It’s particularly easy with a desk job to drink countless fizzy drinks or coffee, substitute water. If there isn’t a water cooler, keep bottled water in your desk and drink plenty of it to clear the toxins from your body. Avoid the vending machine full of chocolate and crisps – take your own lunch and make sure it is well balanced. If you feel you are missing on certain nutrients maybe look at supplements available – there are a multitude that provide an assortment of health benefits and antioxidants.
• Use part of your lunch break to get out of the office and walk. This will not only provide you with more exercise but will also get you into the fresh air and away from the work environment which will clear your head ready for the afternoons work.
• Rather than enrolling at a gym after work, try a dance class, there are a huge number to choose form and not only will you be burning calories but you’ll have a huge amount of fun at the same time and increase your circle of friends.
• Yoga, Pilates or Tai Chi are all excellent for keeping the mind and body fit, keep you flexible and keep your muscles toned.
• If you have a dog, make sure you walk it regularly for your benefit as well as his. If you don’t can you borrow someone else’s who perhaps isn’t able to take their dog out as often as they would like or you could register at an animal refuge that may need dog walkers.
Finally, make sure you keep up with medical check-ups. Never leave anything to chance, if you feel unwell, do something about it. Just because you have a desk job doesn’t mean that you have become sluggish and turn into a couch potato, it’s up to you to balance your activity and nutrition and you’ll be amazed at how much better you feel.
PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK